Women Lead Movement conducted an education and capacity building workshop with 60 young men and women on gender inequality and gender based violence in Mitchell’s Plain community.
The objectives of the training were to:
- Develop the participants’ understanding of what Gender-Based Violence is;
- Equip participants with skills and tools to prevent Gender-Based Violence; and
- Raise awareness and understanding of Patriarchy and Gender Inequality: how it manifests and the impact thereof on women and girls.
Strategies to Prevent GBV –
- Women and girls’ empowerment and agency (Agency is an actor’s or group’s ability to make purposeful choices)
- Increase women’s political participation
- Promotion and protection of women’s right to have control and decide freely over matters related to their sexuality, including sexual and reproductive health, family-planning possibilities, and HIV/Aids prevention
- Incorporate men and boys as perpetrators, as victims/survivors and as agents of change
- Transformation of norms and behaviour that underpin GBV.